Wednesday, January 7, 2015

How Do I Love You?

I asked you, “Do you love me?”
But you won’t look at me.
You said, “Why do you ask me this?
How can I make you see?”

I shrugged, defeated, and quite forlorn,
Prepared to hear the worst,
Until I felt you kiss my cheek
And all my fear dispersed.

“My love,” you say, then smile,
And look into my eyes.
“There are not words enough to say
how much you’ve changed my life.”

I smile, then, triumphant,
But dying to hear more,
“What do you mean?” I ask,
“What are you smiling for?”

You laugh at my naivety,
And I blush with much chagrin.
“My dear,” you coo, “my darling,
Where do I begin?

I love you in the morning,
I love you late at night.
I love you when we’re happy,
And when we’ve had a fight.

I love you when it’s cold outside,
I love to keep you warm.
I love you when the sun is near,
And I love you when it storms.

I love you when you’re next to me,
And when you’re far away.
I love you when you talk to me,
And when you don’t know what to say.

I love you when your hair’s a mess,
I love you when you sleep.
I love you when you smile,
And I love you when you weep.

I love you more than there are words,
More than the flower loves the rain,
And if you ask me every day,
My answer is the same.

So next time when you wonder,
Please don’t wander far.
My heart would break if I am kept
Too far from where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment